Perhaps you first heard about the locum tenens practice alternative from a provider on assignment at your facility. Or maybe you happened upon a locum tenens staffing company ad online or in a medical journal. Then again, a peer contemplating the option may have discussed it with you.
Working locum tenens offers an array of distinct opportunities, from the chance to meet new people and provide care to different patient populations to the ability to enjoy a more flexible schedule and travel to new places. If the possibilities appeal to you—and you are organized, open to change, and have a sense of adventure—locum tenens practice may put you on the path to optimal professional and personal satisfaction.
To establish whether the locum tenens lifestyle is a good fit for you, conduct a thorough self-assessment and carefully consider your options. Here, we offer 10 questions to ask yourself concerning your clinical and lifestyle preferences:
- Do I know the practice setting that would best suit me?
- Would I be able to swiftly and easily adapt to new practice settings and communities?
- How might locum tenens practice affect my current family obligations and/or personal commitments?
- Is having a practice in my current location important to me?
- Do I live in an area I’m considering for retirement or semi-retirement?
- Would I enjoy greater diversity/working with different patient populations?
- Do I meet the clinical experience requirements?
- Is my level of expertise above average?
- Am I board certified in my specialty?
- Are there compromises/tradeoffs I need to contemplate?
As any reputable, experienced consultant will attest, an in-depth and honest evaluation of your wants, needs, proficiencies, and goals can help you determine if the locum tenens lifestyle is for you.
Check out Weatherby Healthcare’s locum tenens opportunities throughout the country.